Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Gone Rogue Discord

Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... Empty
PostSubject: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Back to top Go down
DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Quote :
the reason for DayZ's enormous success is becoming clear--the game play leads to a degree of psychological tension and emotional response that players report never before experiencing in a computer game.

"One of the things that really hit me was a story posted to my Facebook page from this father," says Hall. "He was playing with his son and they were getting ready to go into a barn and they were a little worried there was another player in there because they had seen players in the area. They only had one compass between them, so he said, 'You approach from the west.' And then they headed in towards it, and he saw this person coming in from the other side, so he shot them, and wounded them. Then he walked over and realized it was his son. His son is like, 'Just kill me. Just kill me.' Because his legs were hurt and they didn’t have any morphine and stuff. I felt really bad about it, but the father said it was awesome … they had this amazing experience together. And he wasn’t normally into computer games."

Last edited by DontTreadOnMe on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 pm

The DayZ section of Reddit is an endless rabbit hole of emotional accounts of playing the game. One player describes his overwhelming sense of justice after having killed and pillaged another character who shouted a racial epithet; another writes about being "emotionally scarred" after the "whirlwind of chaos, sorrow, and show of true love" that he experienced when he was mortally wounded and a friend exacted instant, furious revenge on the attacker. And about the more mundane ways the game invades the psyche, another player writes, "I spent hours [in the game] looking for a canteen or a water bottle and never found one. Today, when I went to work, someone had left an empty water bottle on the desk. It was like finding $20 on the ground. Split second of pure joy."

One particularly striking post calls the game "a murder simulator like no other," describing the player's stages of emotions after making his first kill. He starts off feeling a wave of guilt and grief for the stranger sitting across the Internet, who in that moment lost everything he had accomplished in the game. "Then the worst thing happened," writes the player. "I started to rationalize my kill. 'Well he probably would've tried to kill me.' 'Well it's only fair, I've been killed 10 times by players like him.' 'It's only a game.' Anything I could think of to make myself feel better. This is what makes DayZ so great. To think that this 'game' gave me the opportunity to struggle with morality in a way that other forms of entertainment never have. It also shows you how people can do horrible thing to others as long as everyone is doing it (think Nazi Germany). How every time you kill someone that feeling of remorse and grief is a little less painful until one day you feel nothing at all."

Back to top Go down
BullDog

BullDog

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm

http://dayzgame.com/

I will give you my water bottle Karl. I wouldn't want to hear you cry on comms........

Here is a map that is very useful.  

http://dayzdb.com/map#3.049.087
Back to top Go down
DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:53 pm

DayZ Gets a Major Update, Vehicle Implementation In Progress

DayZ creator Dean “Rocket” Hall outlines what’s in store in the near future for the early access version of the popular zombie-survival game.

Hall spoke in a recent Reddit AMA where he talked about the implementation of vehicles and bases.

“Vehicles will be done based on the architecture we are doing for items/weapons now (i.e. attachments). So it’s in progress really,” Hall wrote. “We are replacing the physics system for items (throwing, etc…) and this new middleware will be used for vehicles also.”

Bases will take a little while longer to implement, but players can expect to have access to barricades first. He also mentioned that though small aircraft such as planes and helicopters would be complex to maintain, he feels they are important regardless.

For the moment, DayZ survivors can look forward to a major update that recently hit.

“This build is has very big back-end changes, which means that it may take some time for game servers to come up,” wrote Hall in the update’s official patch notes.

“Please keep an eye on the DayZ twitter for updates. Many of the changes not listed here are significant database cluster changes associated with our datacenter, and involve configuration changes to DayZ servers themselves. We have tried to minimize potential problems, but delays and outages are possible now more than ever. We will be working as fast as we can to get everything back online.”

DAYZ PATCH UPDATE 22 JANUARY 2014

Branch: Stable
ETA: In process
Version: 0.32.114557

Known Issues

Corpse cleanup causes server crash during forced server restart
Spray Painting a magazine while on weapon, creates fake (unusable) copy in inventory
Fixed

Niosh mask (respirator) inventory size fixed to 1/1 slot.
Missing strings for BE popup for alternate languages, set to English while translations are being done.
Reduced dispersion of FNX45 (from 0.05 to 0.03)
Balanced stomach capacity,
Added stuffed notifier (instead of sickness when full up)
Eating and drinking animations properly set for tablets/disinfectants
Version number in server browser and details
Saline transfusion doesn’t refill full blood
Charcoal and Tetracycline tablets won’t give sick badge if you aren’t actually sick
Player aim run speed updated, weapon position changed and improved for first person view
Glitches on right hand while moving and while giving taunt fixed
Players can’t pile backpacks inside of another backpacks, backpack-inception style. You can only put one backpack inside of another backpack if the backpack that is being put inside is empty.
Magnum speedloader should be spawning now
Number of backpacks spawning lowered
Number of .357 Pythons spawning lowered.
Number of M4A1s spawning lowered
Dead character cleanup performed at 10 minutes past death
Removed scripted server teleporting check as now managed by engine
Sea ambient sound is now slightly quieter
Animation: Fixed misc issues with vaulting
Animation: Fixed getting on the ladder from kneel for the armed player
Animation: Fixed animation speed for unarmed player in main menu
Animation: Fixed an issue with changing weapon while aiming in kneel
Animation: Fixed an issue with rotation while aiming in prone
Headtorch color descriptions fixed
Jeans descriptions (color) fixed
Cargo pants description fixed (color)
Chest holster description added
Using an item in your hand no longer goes out of hand once action done
Using an item while something else in your hand will go back to that item once action done
Security issue with IGUI variable compiling
Situation where player used item on other players inventory causing neverending looped item check
Weapons now display tooltips
Players can now be revived with the defibrillator
Clipping on right hand when holding an item and pressing F1 (Greeting).
Map_ChernarusSW description fixed
SKS rifle description added
New

UI: Editable character name in main menu
UI: Hive, mode and time columns in server browser
Database: Support for sub hives. (Sub-private, Hardcore/Regular public)
Security: Signature verification against PBOs
Loot: Added shotgun speedloader into loot spawns
Loot: Added box of 20 pieces .357 rounds into loot spawns
Loot: Added color variants of all shoes into loot spawns
Loot: Added Hiking pants (both long and short ones) and Canvas pants including their color variants into loot spawns
Loot: Added hacksaw into the loot spawns
Loot: Added shotgun into loot spawns
Action: Players can now collect Berries as food
Loot: Added Hacksaw into loot spawns
Crafting: Players can create sawed-off shotgun from shotgun
Crafting: Players can opening cans with a hacksaw
Crafting: Painting Mosin with spraypoint now supported
Loot: Added spraypaint can into loot spawns
Map: Coastal harbor town of Svetloyarsk (and surrounding areas)
Animation: More direct transitions for aimed weapon(prone to stand/kneel and back)
Animation: Surrender now disarms player for single handed items
Loot: Pipsi, NotaCola, Spite and Rasputin Kvass drinks
Action: Burlap sack can be placed on head of self or target
Action: Burlap sack causes black screen and reduced sound when worn on head
Performance: Server Performance improvements
Zombies: Six new zombie soldier types
Crafting: Weapon cleaning kit used for keeping your guns in good shape
Loot: Shotgun snap-loader for fast reloads
Crafting: Player can spraypaint MP handguard and buttstock
Crafting: Support for “add paint” or “repaint” for spraypainting
Crafting: Player can spraypaint CMAG magazines
Back to top Go down
DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

DontTreadOnMe ~ Karl

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Im gonna have to mess with the games video settings. Need more object definition - everything seems blurred together. I think I saw an motion blur setting or something. But this game gave me a serious migraine and motion sickness - I was close to blowing chunks last night after this game - not sure if it was weather related or not - but this game didnt help. Had this happen with another game that Cat and I tried a year or so back... Although it may have bee the 30 minute real time swim that Jim took us on - on an empty stomach.
Back to top Go down
Rambo-[USMC]

Rambo-[USMC]

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:29 pm

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Im gonna have to mess with the games video settings. Need more object definition - everything seems blurred together. I think I saw an motion blur setting or something. But this game gave me a serious migraine and motion sickness - I was close to blowing chunks last night after this game - not sure if it was weather related or not - but this game didnt help. Had this happen with another game that Cat and I tried a year or so back... Although it may have bee the 30 minute real time swim that Jim took us on - on an empty stomach.
Probably seasickness. You should take some dramamine before playing Karl, wouldn't hurt to pop a few Excedrin for the migraine, and don't forget to keep your crying towel nearby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donmallon.com
jim
Admin
jim

PostSubject: Tips   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 am

General

• If you are bleeding but have no bandages, remove your shirt and right click it to tear off a rag - this can be used to stop bleeding. Note: This does not work if your clothes are damp.
  • Use Tab to view your inventory. For a detailed explanation of the new inventory system see here.
  • You spawn with a torch and battery. Drag the battery onto the torch to power it. Drag the torch to your hand to wield it. Pressing space aims the torch ahead at the sacrifice of movement speed.
  • If you can't find any servers, try clicking the "Internet" tab - it may be defaulted to LAN.
  • Change the quality of the clouds to very high to improve vision at night time | Video
  • Increasing the gamma and brightness from the settings will also help you see better at night time. Note: This is seen as cheating by many.
  • For a map of the new Chernarus see here.
  • Use the number keys to cycle through your weapons.
  • Pressing space lowers/raises your weapon accordingly. If you aren't carrying anything space will ready your fists to punch.
  • If you are running and change weapon while it is raised, you will stop running. If you change weapon while it is lowered, you continue keep running.
  • Hold down right click to zoom in.
  • Holding Alt locks the direction of your movement, allowing you to look around while running without changing direction.
  • Pay extra attention when looking for loot, some loot isn't immediately obvious.
  • Avoid the coast unless you're looking for trouble. Head in-land after spawning.
  • Poor framerate? Go to Documents > DayZ and open DayZ.cfg in Notepad. ChangeGPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead to = 1.
  • Keep a spare pair of shoes in case they get wet or damaged. Not being able to run hinders your chance of survival.
  • If somebody is holding you at gunpoint, you can usually see whether they have a mag in it or not. For example - Pistol with mag 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... UjdHGASh

Pistol without mag 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... 4KxGQW6h

• Bad frame rate? Try disabling Ambient occlusion. Frame rate will increase by up to 200%.
  • If the doors to a house are open, the chances are it has already been looted. Look out for closed doors for optimal looting.
  • If you are armed, don't kill a player that isn't (unless they are trying to punch you).
  • Use the third person view to your advantage to see around corners. Note: This is frowned upon by many, but won't be an issue upon the introduction of first-person only servers.
  • Avoid running across open fields if possible - leaving yourself exposed will get you killed. Stick to the tree line if possible.
  • If a zombie falls face down it's still alive, if it lands face up it's dead.
  • Draw distance can be changed despite not being available in the settings. Go to Documents > DayZ Other Profiles > [Your username] > [Your username].DayZProfile (open it in notepad). Then change the number in viewDistance=number; to a distance.
  • Not sure where to go for loot after spawning? Follow this loot route guide. Note: a server that has recently reset with fresh loot is ideal for this.
  • These green houses 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... DayZ-2014-01-04-16-09-39-43-600x337

contain no loot.
  • You sprint faster with your fists raised.
  • Change the keybind of Z to "Go prone", as opposed to "Prone". See the difference here.

__
Health

• If you are neither hungry or thirsty your health regenerates. The more hydrated and full you are the quicker it regenerates.
  • If you are bleeding but have no bandages, remove your shirt and right click it to tear off a rag - this can be used to stop bleeding. Note: This does not work if your clothes are damp.
  • If your head hurts, you need to drink water or take painkillers.
  • To avoid bad health, stay away from rotten fruit, unpurified water (if possible) etc. and wear warm, dry clothes.
  • Thirsty? Look out for water pumps 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... R9JB7VJ

in urban areas and ponds 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... WjMibL1

in rural areas. You can drink from them without needing a bottle. Note: some water pumps don't work. Refer to this map for their locations.
  • Some food affects thirst, for example cereal restores 1,000 energy, and drains 250 water while sardines restores 333 energy and 100 water.
  • Logging out while unconscious or handcuffed will kill you.
  • You need a can opener to open canned food effectively. Using knives, axes etc. will open them but some of the food will be spilled.
  • Know how to combat any medical problems:

[th]Status[/th][th]Cure[/th]
BleedingBandages/rags
Low bloodBlood Bags/Saline Bag
Broken legMorphine/Sticks & Bandages
UnsconsciousnessEpi-Pen/Saline Bag
Food poisoningCharcoal tablets
Infected woundAlcohol tincture/antibiotics

• The longer your character is alive the less aid they will need.
  • When giving blood transfusions your blood type must be compatible. Use this table 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... 6RdNGfn

for reference.
  • For a detailed explanation of all medical procedures go here or watch this video.
  • Check your thirst/hunger status from the inventory screen regularly.

For a detailed explanation on the status messages see further down.
__
Navigation
An important part of survival is knowing your bearings, there are ways to do this without a compass. You'll feel like Bear Grylls once you've learned these tricks.

• Find your bearings at night from the star constellations 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... L7WsgIy

. Two stars from the Big Dipper point straight at the North Star | Video source
  • The wind always blows east, so look at the movement of clouds 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... 3g7olWw

• The sun rises in the East and sets in the West, so if the Sun is just rising or setting 
    Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... Ps6faJE

you'll find it particularly easy to gain your bearings from that.
  • Most towns/cities have road signs. If you are unsure where you are, simply match the road sign name up with where it lies on the map.

__
Status Messages
Hunger - Stage 1
Stage 1 hunger is represented by the following messages:

• "My stomach grumbles"
  • "I'm feeling hungry"
  • "I want to eat something"
  • "I feel hungry"

Effect: None
Treatment: Consume food until notifications cease.
Hunger - Stage 2
Stage 2 hunger is represented by the following messages:

• "I'm extremely hungry"
  • "My stomach grumbled violently"
  • "I'm starving"

Hunger - Stage 3
Stage 3 hunger is represented by the following messages:

• "I'm dying of starvation"

Effect: -1 Health per second, -0.5% blood per second
__
Thirst - Stage 1
Stage 1 thirst represented by the following messages:

• "I feel thirsty"
  • "I'm thirsty"
  • "I need a drink"
  • "I feel like having a drink"
  • "I want to drink something"

Treatment: Drink until notifications cease.
Thirst - Stage 2
Stage 2 thirst represented by the following message:

• "I really need to drink"

Thirst - Stage 3
Stage 3 thirst represented by the following messages:

• "I'm dying of dehydration"

Effect: -5 Health per second, -1% blood per second
__
Stuffed - Stage 1
Eating or drinking too much can overfill your stomach.
Stage 1 is represented by the following messages:

• "My stomach feels stuffed"
  • "I feel really full"
  • "My stomach feels completely full"

Treatment: If you are full from food, don't eat for a while. If you are full from drink don't drink for a while.
Stuffed - Stage 2
Stage 2 is represented by the following messages:

• "I feel over-fed"
  • "My stomach feels much more full then it's normal"
  • "My stomach feels absolutely stuffed"

Treatment: If you are full from food, don't eat for a while. If you are full from drink don't drink for a while.
Stuffed - Stage 3
Stage 3 is represented by the following messages:

• "I am close to vomiting"
  • "I think I'm going to vomit..."
  • "I'm going to vomit..."

Effect: -500 hunger, -600 energy, -1000 water
Treatment: Rehydrate and eat (not as much this time!).
__
Stomach Ailments
Stomach issues are represented by the following messages:

• "I have a weird taste in your mouth"
  • "I feel queasy"
  • "I feel like I’m going to throw up"
  • "I feel nauseous"
  • "I feel like I’m going to vomit"

Treatment: Consume antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keenantech.com
BullDog

BullDog

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Here is a map where you can login and mark where you are at. You still have to know your location.

Keep updating as you move so we can find each other. It seems to refresh every so often so it keeps updated for anyone new coming in.

http://www.izurvive.com/chernarusplussatmap.html

Kingfish set it up.  Group Name= Agroup   Password= freebeer
Back to top Go down
BullDog

BullDog

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I bet J.C. would like this game.
Back to top Go down
jim
Admin
jim

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 7:56 pm

I think this would send him over the edge as soon as some ass hat comes up begging for food and JC gets killed for talking to the douche.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keenantech.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...   Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'... Empty

Back to top Go down

Video game is 'murder simulator like no other'...
Page 1 of 1